David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 13 June 2013

Private Passions - Sean O'Brien


I’ve never quite become a ‘completist’ in any field, not one of those fanatics who has developed the unruly compulsion to collect everything by their favourite artist. I don’t leave a Thom Gunn item unbought if I can help it, I’ll buy anything by The Magnetic Fields and catalogues of Maggi Hambling’s work are snapped up from time to time but one can’t have everything and I can’t see why one would want to. There lies yet another doorway into madness.

Thus it is that it didn’t immediately occur to me to review Sean O’Brien’s appearance on Radio 3’s Private Passions programme, the highbrow Desert Island Discs. He’s been on the wireless before. But, why not. He is among those artists who haven’t done much that there isn’t a copy of in this house.

It is an interesting exercise to go through the anthology of Desert Island Discs and see whose selections are closest to your own taste. It isn’t always those that you might imagine. One of my biggest heroes, the cricketer, Derek Randall, took The Sun Has Got His Hat On to his island with seven other records that were not even as good as that. But music was obviously not one of Derek’s main interests. He was a maverick middle order batsman. Oh, yes, now I remember what it was we had in common.

So, of Sean’s choices on this programme, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that I have only one of them. Steve Reich’s Different Trains. The ones I don’t have were by Vaughan Williams, Prokofiev, Lowell George, Debussy, Johnny Mercer, Schubert and Joseph Kosma. A bit louder, slightly funkier and more addled than the music that I count as my favourite. It’s probably true to say that most men’s choice of music is more macho than mine. If you haven’t seen August Kleinzahler’s book on Music, it is worth a look and then I’ll rest my case.

It was an interview that exemplifies why Radio 3 is by far the most essential of the radio, and even television, channels, though. Sean’s explanation of his fascination with Debussy as being the musical equivalent of symbolist poetry was useful as well as his comments that followed. The insight into the glorious Damascean moment in an English lesson at school where Mr. Grayson introduced the poetry of Eliot that made Sean a poet was moving even if the conversion was more gradual for some of us others. It might not matter if you fall in love in a moment or over a long time but it is a blessing as well as a cross to bear to have the feeling is that ‘poet’ is what you must be, for better or worse. But Sean’s idea that he gave up being a drummer in a band to get ‘a proper job’ only made me wonder which job that was.

Danny Baker’s eight records on Desert Island Discs were nothing like what he would seriously want to be stuck with indefinitely but were chosen on a theme. When I pick such a selection for fun, I am relentlessly highbrow and only then allow myself a couple of pop masterpieces because that is genuinely what I think I would want. Sean’s remit here wasn’t quite that, though, and so it isn’t a question of whether this is the music he would want to live with. But it wouldn’t be so bad if it was. These weren’t choices chosen for effect. They are entirely credible. The Steve Reich piece is a great art piece. It’s just that, for me, it’s like the Rembrandt that is a great painting but you wouldn’t have it on your wall. Sean eschews the temptation of advertising an interest in Coltrane (if he even has one) and remains on the interesting left of centre, the challenging borders of the mainstream, without ever saying anything that makes you think he’s trying too hard or is actually a fruitcake. That is as much as one can ask.