David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Saturday 29 June 2013

Isle of Wight Walk

Starting in Yarmouth with 12 miles ahead of us and the weather only having made a promise to be better later, I wasn't overly enthused that this was going to be the best way I could have spent a day off. We set off on the flat and took the North West corner of the island with views across to Dorset and it wasn't so bad. But this was a walk that reached its climax in the second half.
An early highlight was Totland, a well-hidden beach resort in miniature but with the genuinely redolent scent of childhood seaside and a perfect liitle shop selling windmills and lightweight footballs.

I am the least fitted of our group nowadays for uphill stretches and only a fraction of the three stone overweight I carry was shed in perspiration but Alum Bay and the excellent value ice-cream there were some reward for those struggling efforts.
Back over Tennyson Down with its imposing monument to the great laureate included the second lunch stop after which it was downhill all the way. That didn't necessarily mean easy because the last couple of miles on the flat were a delicately interwoven composition of aching feet and running on empty. Although not wishing to take any pleasure in the discomfort of others, I was at least consoled to hear of the specific aches and pains of others to realize that I was not alone. 12 miles must be the giddy limit for my walking capacity these days.
So, the rewards were roughly commensurate with the pain at the time and once it is all over, one appreciates it the more.

But the day had a further highlight in store. Not even capable of the challenge of a late evening bottle of Merlot, I settled horizontally to enjoy once more a couple of episodes of The Office which kept me up long enough to see Chic's performance at Glastonbury.
My favourite act from over 30 years ago delivered what a memorable set, as good as any live performance I've seen for a long time and, I imagine, the best thing I've ever seen from Glastonbury. On the other channel, and presumably on a different stage at the same time, the Arctic Monkeys were grinding through their dismaying routine of indie posturing. There was simply no comparison. Nile Rodgers is a blinding talent, continually renewing his minimal but glorious deadpan dance music. I had as much of a disco as I could while supine and clapped out. Quite glorious.