David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 14 October 2016

Get Out More

I am sometiimes told I should get out more. I don't usually welcome the advice as I do enjoy reading books lying on the settee. I did take more heed when I played cricket.
But, it can be quite good. My opinion of Portsmouth, having lived here for most of the last 34 years, went up considerably after finally going up the Spinnaker Tower and finding that, on such a clear day as yesterday was, it is well worth doing and not frightening at all.
And today's trip to Wincanton was very enjoyable, 
too. A great place to be on a fine October day. I do owe anybody who followed the Saturday Nap there an apology. There was no way Prettylittlething could get beaten until you saw her drift in the betting in reaction to money apparently lumping on Kapgarde King for which there was no justification in the form book at all. So I was able to take out insurance, regarding the money markets as a more reliable indicator of forthcoming performance than past performance often is.
So, here she is, coming out of the pre-parade ring. It wasn't until a couple of minutes before the off that I decided I needed insurance. She was unlucky to be ambushed by an unforeseen plan but did all that she could have been expected to do.
But Wincanton, at least on a day like today, is a very welcoming and scenic place to spend an afternnon with the kind Public Relations lady showing us the weighing room, the fences and regaling a small group with her inside stories, not all of which I agreed with. Like, racing is the only sport followed by an ambulance and a fleet of cars.


Well, the Tour de France is.
Yes, but not at 30 mph.
It is sometimes.

After Jeremy Paxman telling us that Sirius is in the Great Bear on University Challenge, it's been a bad week for being told stuff.