David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Walking on Water


On the subject of poems about Portsmouth, which we were, the theme of this poem from a few years ago came to mind with the tragic news of someone not surviving a walk across the frozen Baffins Pond just recently.
It was an ill-advised idea, obviously, and I have since reflected on the possible outcome of my little adventure, which was some years before I wrote the poem about it.
It is a miracle that the temperature can make water bind itself together to make it solid and, if I were to want to make a contrived metaphor for poetry, which I don't, I might say that poetry is when words bind themselves together to allow the poet to walk daringly across their surface. But since I'm not a creative writing tutor, I don't need to say anything quite so silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.