David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 31 January 2011

From the Archives - F.C. Spartak



It is a quiet period on the website at the moment, it has to be said, and in need of features to keep us entertained here, I have excavated the archives for items of the most arcane interest.
My first episode here goes back to 1975-6 in the lower divisions of the Gloucester Sunday League where I played just about the last of my football and ended a promising career at the untimely age of 17.
On the day that the transfer window closes and Newcastle United might suddenly be in need of a new striker, I must point out that I'd prefer to play for Fulham, Notts County or Forest but since I've been out of contract for these last 35 years, the transfer deadline might not apply.

My club, F.C. Spartak, were headline makers in November 1975 when finally scraping a win but in Feb 76, the Gloucester Citizen's now fading parchment records the predator snapping up an unconsidered trifle against the mighty G.P.O. Reserves in a gripping match report. My value to Mark Hughes would be enhanced if I could find the piece that shows I bagged a brace in another match but it hasn't come to hand yet. I've already got some club issue white shorts and my boots with some 1976 mud on them are still in a bag somewhere so I'm waiting by the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.