David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 10 July 2019

Overwhelming














I can't say I'm impressed with the definition of 'overwhelming' in Google Dictionary but the synonyms are interesting-
 
overwhelming
/əʊvəˈwɛlmɪŋ/
adjective
very great in amount.

very large, profuse, enormous, immense, inordinate, massive, huge, formidable, stupendous, prodigious, fantastic, staggering, shattering, devastating, sweeping









The College Chump last night went unchallenged as he said the 52-48% referendum result had been overwhelming although that was the very margin cited by his Leaver croney, Mr. Farage, as meaning the argument wasn't over if he had, as he thought, lost by that amount. But why would one challenge him. Whenever questioned about the quicksand of blather he skates across, he only continues talking about what he wants to talk about, which is mainly harrumph, content-free phrases and hand gestures. For someone of such reputed classical scholarship, his grasp of his own language is partial. Please don't let him be Prime Minister. A Chump at Oxford. Oh, yes, I remember now. Laurel and Hardy.