David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Never blotted a line

I came across this in a pile of papers this morning, the first and only draft of Windy Miller.

Once in a blue moon it happens like that. The idea comes fully formed and you only have to aim the biro at the paper and it writes it out for you. And they are often the best ones, not compromised by adjustments, fiddling, revisions and workshoppery. I can think of two others that happened to me and would be interested to know which, if any, arrived thus for others.

However grateful I was for it, when I sent it to About Larkin, they chose the one I sent with it. I believe that happens, too.

I wonder how much the university libraries will bid each other up to for possession of it.
Do I hear the price of a large gin and tonic?
No, I don't.