David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Oh, Recent Reading, What Would You Say


Despite the best efforts of every newspaper and magazine with their Summer Reading features, I do sometimes arrive at a period of time off with nothing new to read. It’s not a problem per se as upstairs, never mind downstairs, has plenty of books to re-read notwithstanding the daunting prospect of resuming Proust after 37 years.
I didn’t have that syndrome this time. I have a few non-new release titles to mention and further on hand. The major bugbear this time is the connection being down, including telephone, so not only can I not access all the e-mails that have flooded in from friends and the great and good, I’m typing this into Word and will copy it onto the internet later so that you, one of the precious few elite who come here to read, can see it.
Catching up with my Sebastian Faulks backlog I borrowed, rather than begged or stole, Paris Echo although it will have to be bought to maintain that vaguely completist set of the ‘proper’ novels. It became as moving as his blub normally claims him to be in its later stages. Having read that a criticism of McEwan is that he mentions wine too often and thus betrays his class status, one does wonder if Camus is more authentic on France, the war there and Algerian immigrants. It’s a worry but need not be if the fiction convinces. I’m not one to insist on authenticity or any individual’s right to write about whatever they decided but if it doesn’t entirely convince, doubts can creep in.
Not for the first time, Sebastian uses the device of a character looking back via archive material. But that story, again in a way we are accustomed to, is woven into other strands, some of which are sexier than one might feel like writing oneself but that’s another area that he’s not been afraid of. While unquestionably adept at producing highly readable novels he has in common with McEwan that sometimes one or two things beg the question and diligent research might not always be adequate compensation for knowing first-hand.
One couldn’t accuse John Francome’s Born Lucky of that. There is no one I’d rather read on the subject of ‘being a jockey’ but this is a book that surprises in the same way that ‘what it was like in the 70’s’ comes as a surprise to younger generations of comedians who appear on telly to raise their eyebrows and be astonished at what levels of now unacceptable sexism and racism used to pass for humour. I bow only to those who have ridden horses in my admiration of Francome’s horse riding and thought I’d also like his laconic wit but the acceptable quotient of laddishness, with is increased by the Smith-Eccles co-efficient whenever a story involves his mate, is exceeded when driving on the public highway. I don’t mind his bare-faced cheek to the stewards and his admissions of cheating are at least more honest than the abstruse arguments offered by Lance Armstrong but we have surely now moved on from larking about in motor vehicles. I don’t think even Clarkson or the Hamster would approve of all of such behaviour by now. You rode Border Incident, Swindon boy, and should be grateful.
You wouldn’t find Ian Bostridge celebrating laddishness. His Schubert’s Winter Journey, the ‘anatomy of an obsession’ with Winterreise is a stout book, investigating and making all kinds of connections from the song cycle through Schubert himself, the poetry of Muller and  the themes therein in an entirely convincing and compelling way. It is what the best art makes one do and Ian Bostridge does it tremendously well. It puts the songs in context, at the dreamiest, most self-indulgent height of Romanticism, with contemporary thought and politics as well as making connections far beyond. Wearing its wide learning very comfortably, it makes both the book and the music it describes resonate gorgeously and ought to take its place among the frontrunners (and where have I heard that word far too often in recent weeks) if I ever embarked on the series of articles most portentously aimed at deciding ‘The Best Book in the House’.
And still to come are the biography of Lou Reed by Anthony DeCurtis. Lou, of course, my fondly imagined soulmate who worked in a hit factory, which must be the best job in the world, to setting the template for every worthwhile definition of ‘cool’ with the Velvet Underground. You can’t leave a book like that in a charity shop that only wants £1 for it.
And it would be unbecoming of me if I didn’t follow up a recommendation for Doktor Faustus by Thomas Mann. A few of my very favourite things (Patrick Hamilton, The Magnetic Fields) have come from recommendations from trusted friends. I wasn’t averse to following up this tip because I remembered Thomas Mann from several decades ago as the author of short novels. Top marks to my friendly postlady for managing to get these 500 pages through the letterbox. We will find out how trusted this recommender is once I’ve battled through it.