David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 22 November 2017

The Professor's Top 6 Racehorses

The Professor has been a regular guest here on The Saturday Nap and surpassed himself last week by tipping a winner. As I always used to point out in olden days when I could pick winners, one does need to get on at the early price because although the classified results showed his advice as an even money favourite, it was 9/4 when he put it up. Well done, Prof.
The true identity of  the professor remains a mystery, like The Stig on Top Gear. It's not me, it's not John Francome and it's not John McCririck but those who think it's the last of those are the closest.
He appears here as special guest on Top 6 as part of the build-up to Ascot on Saturday when we attend a top notch (and there might be an early tip) meeting to sample the hospitality of his bookmaker, the legendary Mr. Joe Coral.
Hello, Prof. Tell us all about it, then.


















DENMAN (above) – I remember for 12 months prior to the 2008 Gold Cup telling everyone interested Denman would win and had my largest single bet on it. So sweet when it actually won. 
SPRINTER SACRE – This one from an emotional point of view. Having swept all before him earlier in his career, illness and injury dogged him for over 2 years. The way Nicky Henderson got him back to win the Champion Chase again was brilliant.   
GRANVILLE AGAIN  - Having been tailed off in the Christmas Hurdle the genius of Martin Pipe got him back to win the Champion Hurdle in 1993. Peter Scudamore was not sure whether to ride him or Valfinet that had run up a 6 timer that season through front running performances. Pipe persuaded Scu to ride Granville and I bet he was glad he did!
RUN FOR FREE – This again from 1993. If you ever get the chance to watch one last race before leaving this world make it the 1993 Scottish Grand National. Having been left 40+ lengths at the start Run for Free picked off the field one by one before putting his head in front on the line. Just quite unbelievable and I had a few quid on it and had to retrieve the screwed up betting slip from the bin!!!
WEST TIP – The first horse I remember backing. When West Tip fell at Bechers second time round in 1985 I knew he could win the Grand National, but not that one. Richard Dunwoody was masterful on him and he duly obliged the following year. If that hadn’t happened maybe I would not have followed the game at all.
GALILEO – I will indulge in one flat horse. Not only was he a great performer on the track we can still enjoy watching the fruits of his exploits at stud 16 years later. He has bred great determination in his progeny and that is a great help as a punter as I love backing Aiden O’Brien horses as people that know me will know already.
In summary there are numerous others that could have made the list. I think it shows how jump horses live with us longer in the memory as they show up and perform year after year.