David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 4 December 2016

Every Trick in the Book


Every Trick in the Book


It might start out one misty morning
with a highwayman on horseback
emerging on a lonely road.
His dark eyes flash beneath his hat
and, for good measure, if you will,
he wears a mask as expected.
What a liberty, the scoundrel
never gets his true comeuppance
but leaves his crestfallen victims
by the roadside tied up with their
own apparel.
                    His mistresses
in York and London do not know
he doesn’t love them but he is
heir to a fortune not in need
of all the bounty that he loots
from passing traffic, he’s only
in it for the devil in him
treats it as cheap entertainment.