David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 5 September 2014

Maksim Stsura

Maksim Stsura, St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Sept 5th

Young Estonian pianist Maksim Stsura gave two fine performances at lunchtime today. Whenever I go to one of these St. Martin's lunchtime concerts, it is never less than good but I have a feeling this was a special one.
Beethoven's Op. 101 Sonata was the first piece, the Steinway having a bell-like chime to it, especially later when I thought Beethoven was re-arranging Bach a liitle bit but it chimed in its slower movements and was the more impressive in the livelier passages. It is a memorable piece that I wasn't familiar with, angular and passionate at times but ringing beautifully at others.
But the Brahms Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Handel, Op.24. was more spectacular. Variations are usually a playground for the composer to take off in any direction they choose and it is interesting to see how long it took this piece to go from being Handel to being Brahms. Not long. It is a wonderful adventure, in C apparently. It demands verve, dexterity and quite some technique (I say, as if I could tell) but he had plenty of those in store to give a rousing performance. Handel and Brahms are not two composers I'd ever put together but it is only 'a theme' to extemporise upon and Brahms does a fine job, as did Maksim.
At the end, the artist was presented with the 'Beethoven Medal of the Worshipful Company of Musicians, which will no doubt look nice alongside the other prizes he has already accumulated as long as it didn't get damaged when he dropped it. Maksim obviously has pianist's hands rather than those of a cricketer. When he is on at the Proms or the Wigmore in years to come, remember you heard about him here first.