David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Grace Darling

I was relieved of the Rummage Cup, the trophy for the winner of Portsmouth Poetry Society's annual competition this evening.
But I can now reveal my poem, a playful little thing on the theme of 'reluctant heroine'.
I don't know if the rhyme scheme has been used before. I haven't seen it but that doesn't mean it hasn't been used. But, if it hasn't, perhaps I can claim it and think of a name for the form later.


Grace Darling 

Lindisfarne, 1997 

She rescued people from Forfarshire, the leaflet said.
I didn’t realize Forfarshire was that bad, I said. 

I like to think I’m a great comedian.
I am the world’s worst bad comedian. 

I had to think of a reluctant heroine
And so googled ‘reluctant heroine’, 

For I had already thought of Grace Darling
And so was pleased it found me Grace Darling. 

It needs be that I write some poetry
About her, then, some poetry 

About the lashing waves, the raging violence
Of the sea. The savage violence 

That the young girl took upon herself,
With so little thought for herself, 

To challenge with her selfless bravery,
Apparently the sort of bravery 

Not all of us would have. Not me.
I’d be very reluctant, me. 

But she became folk lore, history,
A part of local history 

Recorded for us tourists on a leaflet
That I mis-read. A badly-written leaflet, 

It must have been, you see,
Because now I look her up I understand. I see 

It meant she rescued them from the SS Forfarshire,
Which was a boat and not, in fact, from Forfarshire.