David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 29 November 2013

The Saturday Nap

Wonderful Charm won 'readily' today to stop a recent slide in my fortunes. The 8 out of 9 sequence of a few weeks ago was suddenly seeming a long time ago. This horse has become a big favourite of mine, as any would if they had won the four times you've backed them, and if there is further improvement to come when he moves up to three miles over fences then he is surely a contender for the RSA Chase in March.
So that's 5 winners in the last two days for Paul Nicholls and, yes, why don't I just sleep with him and get it all out of my system but, rather than that, I'm sure he'd prefer it if I just continued to scrutinize his runners.
I kept on the right side of Rocky Creek last season in novice chases but I'm not convinced he can go straight into a Hennessey and win it even if there probably isn't a Bobsworth or Denman in it this year. And so there, I'm interested in Ruby riding Prince de Beauchene (Newbury 3.00).
At Fisher's Cross (2.25) makes a slightly belated seasonal reappearance having suffered a cut just before being due to carry the nap four weeks ago when Rebecca said he might not be quite fully fit. So maybe he will be by now and he ought to see off Reve de Sivola, who will be no pushover, if he is to justify our hopes for The World Hurdle although he is already 8/11 tomorrow and McCoy chooses to go to Newcastle for My Tent or Yours, which is a tip in itself.
A.P. believes in this Champion Hurdle prospect - a bit more than I do, to be honest, but how you take that will depend on which of us you think is the better judge of a horse. Me never having sat on one. But I won't be taking on Melodic Rendezvous at the prices because I've got hurt doing that once already.
But back with Nicholls, I'll want to be on Black River (Newbury 12.50) but oppose him by giving Gibb River another chance at 1.50.
There's a yankee in italics there to play with some small change and if we come out of it in reasonably good order then Jezki (Fairyhouse 2.15) will be expected to enhance our position on Sunday.
I'll make Prince de Beauchene the nap but, since we can have 12/1, go for a bit of insurance and do it each way even if I think each way is a bit cowardly.