David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 15 November 2013

The Saturday Nap

The importance of getting on early is emphasized by the fact that, having rather daringly added in Cue Card as a Tuesday Bonus the other week to no advantage, the naps are currently running at two pounds and change down to a level ten pound stake at starting price but would be very marginally in front if backed at the prices I took the night before.
Thus one comes in late tonight to find that Paddy had first offered 11/8 about Royal Irish Hussar in the first at Cheltenham tomorrow but we can only have 11/10 now while William Hill seem singularly worried about him and don't appear to want your business at 5/6. No doubt that will sort itself out in the morning. I have backed the Henderson horse but just wonder if something else in the race is even less exposed and might turn him over.
One would love to take Paddy on in his own race at 2.30 but you can't seriously bet against so many other possibilities even if it will be worth 6/1 or more if you find the winner. No, it is time to change sides. I was glad to oppose African Gold (Cheltenham 1.15) last season when he was up against At Fisher's Cross over hurdles but chasing was presumably his longer term objective and at 13/8, or 7/4 if you can get it, he is expected to be better than the opposition in his fences debut here. I was grateful to Shutthefrontdoor for retrieving the day at Aintree recently but it was a battle. I feel unfaithful deserting him after his efforts there but you would expect to see African Gold back at Cheltenham in March for the RSA Chase and so he ought to be winning this early reconnaissance mission.
I will be looking at Southfield Theatre in the 3.00 to either play up some winnings or retrieve a parlous position.