David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 18 November 2013

A New Chess Champion....bar the shouting

and there won't be much shouting, really.

Two very quick, tame draws were followed by two draws in which I, for my very minor worth, thought that Anand was asking more of the questions.

But then it all went a little bit inevitable and Carlsen looked like good value for a 1/3 bet except by then I don't suppose any odds were on offer. Those stone-throwing yobbos on the internet were calling him Grindsen on Saturday and, yes, I thought it looked a draw. But it wasn't. And in a week that Hurricane Fly won a record 17th Grade One race, the car driver Vettel won an eighth consecutive Formula One race and Sachin Tendulkar retired in possession of a record that won't be broken in my lifetime, just after A.P. McCoy recorded his 4000th winner to set an unbreakable standard, Carlsen puts his rating at a brand new high that only he is in a position to improve upon.

Have we been lucky enough to witness quite so much wonder or will the excitement be continued in a different way.

I'm sorry that the chess wasn't a bit more competitive but it just wasn't to be, was it. But it would be nice if Carlsen could look as if he enjoyed it a bit more. There can be something a bit depressing about 'cool' being made to look so boring for them.