David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 2 February 2012

Wislawa Szymborska (1923-2012)




There will be better tributes than I can provide to the Nobel prize-winning poet, Wislawa Szymborska, who died in Krakow this week aged 88. I'd be among the first to question how anyone can appreciate poetry in a language one doesn't understand but I liked to think when I first read her poems that we shared some kinship of themes and approach, which was partly at least prompted by the fact that she had a poem called Museum, just like me. And with a small output of quiet poems, and apparently being stunned into silence by her Nobel prize, there really should be more poets like her. But like her I certainly did.


Also, locally, Portsmouth Poetry Society lost Brian Wells last week, a proper poet and very nice man, a founder member of the society 40 years ago, who will be much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.