David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Leonardo Exhibition



Yes, I suppose we should be really cross that tickets for the Leonardo exhibition at the National Gallery are sold out but available from touts for several hundreds of pounds rather than the sixteen that the gallery asked for them. But, perhaps, isn't there just one reassuring little bit about it that there is enough demand for tickets for an art exhibition that these entrepreneureal rascals can add this event to the profiteering that they can only usually exercise on football matches or boxing contests when either the bloodlust of those who wish to see one heavyweight (and I had it confirmed by a quiz question today that if I wanted to challenge for a world boxing title then it would be a Klitscho that I'd be up against) smack another or see a bunch of mercenaries from faraway countries they've never heard of try to establish that their city has the best football team, it might be great that Leonardo commands such inflationary touting.

But I wouldn't have gone even if I lived in London. I'm not disputing that he's a wonderful painter and one of the greatest talents the Western world ever produced but I can look at this painting on the interweb for as long as I want and I still don't like it. I really like animals, just about all of them, I really do, but I'm prepared to make an exception for this one that the calm young lady is holding.

But if Leonardo really commands the same sort of black market ticket price as the European Cup Final then all is not yet lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.