David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Abbado Mozart 39 & 40



Claudio Abbado, Orchestra Mozart, Symphonies 39 & 40 (Decca)


Mozart 40 was the first record I ever bought, admittedly in the 1971 hit parade adaptation by Waldo de los Rios but Mozart 40 nonetheless.

And then teenage posters on the bedroom wall were Deutsche Grammaphon promotional material of the conductors and artists among which the suave and sleek Claudio Abbado was my favourite. So this is a journey back to the roots of 40 years of record buying.

It's unlikely that anything I'm going to think about Mozart or these symphonies in particular hasn't been thought more expertly by someone else already. 39 wouldn't be among the best for me, apparently beginning somewhat ominously with echoes of Don Giovanni but then proceeding in stately, somewhat grand fashion with signature Wolfgang flourishes throughout. There must be more to it than that but it is a little bit standard issue Mozart on automatic pilot. It is nowhere near as touching and expressive as the G Minor, kochel 550, with its shadowy, haunted first bars opening out into gaiety, but never quite escaping the anxiety that is always somewhere just under the surface of Mozart's state of mind.

Abbado's account here, coming after serious illness that leaves him looking understandably frailer now, seems to me spare, bringing a stillness to passages, sometimes even in parts where it wouldn't be expected. It's a tremendously clear and considered expression but quiet in a sense until making its way to the spirited allegro climax. Someone else will be able to comment on various timings of the piece but this gives the impression of being unhurried and that suits me, and suits the music very well.

I wish I could have gone to see Abbado in London last month but he would insist on giving us Bruckner 5 on both nights and although it sounded better than I might have thought on the radio, it does rather keep piling it on and I'm sure they managed to fill the place without needing me there. But if the catalogue was in need of another Mozart 40 then I'm sure this is a welcome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.