David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 9 February 2024

I come from Sherwood, Nottingham

I was once advised it was no bad thing to write poems even if they weren't much good, as if to 'keep one's hand in'. I don't know about that. 
'I come from' was the theme of Portsmouth Poetry Society's meeting this week and so I wrote this to be sociable but I can't see it making The Collected Poems
 
I come from Sherwood, Nottingham,
But not where Robin Hood did.
The forest was some miles from
Where I was first a schoolkid.
 
The wallpaper in my bedroom
Had pictures of the Beatles where
Others might have had flowers in bloom.
I liked Ringo best, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.
 
From the back garden we could see
Constellations like the Plough,
My subject was astronomy
Although it isn’t so much now.
 
School seemed quite a walk away, 
Past the prison’s high brick wall.
And, passing it every day,
I was never naughty at all.
 
It seemed like we’d just won the war
And then we won the World Cup,
I hadn’t seen what came before
And thought the only way was up.
 
We left there when I was 8
And moved to Gloucester which had fields
And other things to contemplate,
Many of which quite appealed-
 
Concorde’s test flights served to convince
The future seemed to be Gloucester
But there and where else I’ve lived since
I’ve felt like an imposter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.