David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 1 February 2024

Fiction report

 I've long thought that novelist, or fiction writer, was a proper job and poet less so. It's much harder for a start. That I can have some modest success with poems shows how easy that is but prose fiction is a different matter.
Time After Time, a few years ago now, was a very basic effort completed only so that I could say I'd done it- 50 thousand words in a 'blizzard of errata' that I never looked at again. But the urge to do something better persisted until the abandonment of the next big idea came with a pledge to never, ever waste time on anything so ambitious again.
I have, though, now produced the short story version of it - 3400 words which is 7 pages of a Word doc. To say that it is my best effort at fiction isn't saying much for it. A Brief Lapse of Confidence appeared in a magazine called Fisheye in the 1980's but I'm not sure this will see print. However, it is the satisfaction of having done it that is of value.
It doesn't have a title yet. It was called The Decline of the English Novel, partly referring to George Orwell and partly deprecating itself but it isn't a novel now. It won't need a title if it's not going anywhere but it isn't really finished without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.