David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 29 August 2023

'David Bowie' 1967

50 years' worth of inflation probably make £32.99 for Electric Warrior a comparable price to what it cost new then. 5 LP's worth of 1972 by T. Rex amounts to not a lot more than multiple versions of The Slider, though, at £132. I'd like to know who's going to go in there and buy it but there is no need to meet them.
Emsworth's Harbour Records is of interest to see what they keep in stock, presumably knowing that is what there's a market for. Yes, ELP, some heavy metal et al but not at all bad on T. Rex, reggae, the Velver Underground and what you'd hope they'd have. I went back for David Bowie by David Bowie from 1967. While the best things to have are the albums from Hunky Dory to Station to Station but great artists are more of interest before they made it big rather than after they're past their best. 
David Bowie in the de-luxe edition is two CD's so you get Love You Til Tuesday four times but it's still a gorgeous thing without, of course, being Hunky Dory, from the days of the beautiful people when his girlfriend was the dancer, Hermione Farthingale. 
At £4.50, those best Bowie albums on CD are not unreasonable. I'm not sure I'd play them very often and I do now have the facility again to play the cassettes but I feel I ought to patronize Harbour Records by going back and buying them if only to thank him for being there.
--
These last days of summer are the anniversary of the last worthwhile poem I wrote, Romanticism, on a trip out in the opposite direction to Netley Abbey. The purpose of today's venture was the pilgrimage to see Rosemary Tonks at Warblington. I didn't expect the stone I left on her headstone last July, in the Jewish tradition, to still be in place so I found a matching one this time.
It's a pleasant walk along the shoreline to Emsworth but Emsworth isn't a Dostoevsky sort of place and the bookshop there had none.
--
But David Bowie was worth it as the first time in how many years- I don't know - since I went into a record shop and bought a record, even if it was made 56 years ago.
It's a bit Anthony Newley but it's also Scott Walker, Ray Davies, of its time but mainly interesting for what one can find in it of what Bowie became in those Golden Years from 1971-75 (at the very least).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.