David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 12 June 2023

New Favourite Writer

 I was always devoted to the underdog, the lesser-known and the under-appreciated. It's why I support Fulham, have been to Stenhousemuir and have Ton Koopman's Complete Works of Dietrich Buxtehude. But today, thanks to Michael Schmidt, I have one to outflank all others. The least-known of all who are known at all must surely be -yrippus of who we are only left with that fragment of their name and nothing of what they wrote, or said.
If only there were more like, presumably, him.
Schmidt finds -yrippus listed in the work of Callimachus of Cyrene as,
a couple of syllables, the orator -yrippus, who survives as a mere half name, like a severed worm.
 
He deserves more respect than that. His name was worthy of being recorded more than 2250 years ago and half of it has got this far for anybody who's interested. Well, I am.
If -een is all that remains of me by 4273, I'd take that as much closer to immortality than I'm likely to get, if being remembered is any part of the point of what one does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.