David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 31 October 2022

Q&A

Matthew Stewart posted this questionnaire for poets at  Rogue Strands , possibly not expecting answers but offering a way for them to think about what they are doing and why. One can't help doing them oneself even if one's claim to being a poet is a partial one or even one that one would make.

What drives you to write and then attempt to publish your poetry? 
The grappling with craft to turn it into art?
Yes, I think it's exactly that. And art for art's sake, for the most part, I like to think.
 
Your self-worth? Your self-expression? Your sense of identity?
Not primarily, I hope. No. And, yes, maybe a bit.
 
Likes and shares on social media? 
No.
 
Your Mum? Your muse? Your mentor? Your need for a job in C.W.? Funding? Prizes? Publication? 
No. No. No. No. No. Very rarely. And rarely but, as it happens, a magazine arrived today with one in. 
I hardly ever send them out but on this occasion it was nice to be asked.
 
Is your poetry simply for yourself? If so, why do you bother to seek publication? For a sense of validation?
Yes. As above, I mostly don't. But maybe it's that, the fact that somebody else sees fit to put it into print.
 
Your readers? But who are they? Where are they? Why might they want to read your poems? How might you reach them? Do you care about them? 
I don't know who all of them are. A few friends, locally and further afield. Maybe they read them out of politeness. I can reach them from this website, by e-mail or through giving them my booklets. I care about them as I would any other friends, not especially as readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.