David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 23 October 2022

Johnson v Johnson

 "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

 Of course. I'd forgotten, in among all such other eminently quotable things, that that was Dr. Samuel Johnson.
He might not necessarily have meant it as a general truth but it will do for me.
I can't help thinking how one of the greatest Englishmen had the same name as one of the worst. At least the ex-Prime Minister, as I hope we will forever be able to know him, was born in New York and so for me he's American and they can have him back.
But he is also a scoundrel and demonstrates very convincingly the good doctor's sentiment. He likes to be pictured with the union flag behind him, to make him look patriotic, but it's only one of his many ruses. He's no more interested in his country than he is in anything else beyond the one thing he really loves, himself, but even he hasn't yet had the nerve to stand in front of a portrait of himself.
Give him time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.