David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 29 December 2020

Sounds of the 70's

 Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the70's on Sunday was an excusably self-indulgent 'special' in which he represented entirely his own taste in between being interviewed by his wife, the great Tiggy Stardust who, during lockdown, somewhat stole the show.
It is entirely his prerogative to present his rock show credentials with his Layla, The Who, Steve Miller and dreary old Eagles, notwithstanding the Springsteen that I've never really 'got' but it only highlights how he seems to include soul and disco under suffrance whereas Tony Blackburn not only wouldn't concentrate on white boys who took themselves seriously but hasn't got as much to pick from in his Sounds of the 60's, in which he favours Motown. Listening to both shows on a fairly regular basis, my sympathies are being shifted towards the 60's.
I wasn't really compos mentis vis a vis pop music for the whole of the 1960's, despite my Beatles bedroom wallpaper but I knew about all of the 70's and if we need 16 tracks to make a show, the Top 20 in September 1971 has enough material on its own. But 16 tracks is what Johnnie had so, as a festive special and a pitch to take over the show once JW retires to spend more time with his Jackson Browne LP's, here's what I'd have had, never being able to see any celebrity questionnaire without thinking I could fill it in better.
 
David Bowie, Rebel Rebel
Mott the Hoople, All the Young Dudes
Al Green, I'm Still in Love with You
Tami Lynn, I'm Gonna Run Away from You
Stone the Crows, Goodtime Girl 
The Rolling Stones, Tumbling Dice
The Drifters, Like Sister and Brother 
Lindisfarne, Meet Me on the Corner
Steeleye Span, Rogues in a Nation
Dave and Ansell Collins, Double Barrel
The Pioneers, Let Your Yeah Be Yeah
The Clash, (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais
Rod Stewart & the Faces, You Wear It Well
Diana Ross, I'm Still Waiting
T. Rex, Get It On
Joni Mitchell, A Case of You
 
Goodness Gracious, that was hard to do and the list of apologies to the likes of David Cassidy, Elvis Costello, Benny Hill and Led Zeppelin would be much longer than the list itself but we have a wireless programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.