David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 3 August 2018

The Shorter OED

I saw volume 2 on its own in Cosham's Heart Foundation shop a couple of years ago, old but £1.50. I asked if vol 1 was in the storeroom but it wasn't. I didn't want to be eloquent and definitive only in the second half of the alphabet.
But this week there were both volumes, whether it was the same vol 2 or not. 1988, but fine. That means they won't have words like Brexit or Facebook in them.
Numbers are interesting, like finding out that ten is the next higher number after nine, which threatens to beg the question. But then it redeems iself by saying it's the number of digits on the hands or feet (if you're lucky) and thus the basis of the decimal system.

But what about quinoa, apparently its 'farinaceous' but farinaceous is in the other volume. And the other volume's over there.
This isn't going to be easy.