David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 30 August 2018

Red Herring

I wanted to have a book to write. I thought it would take me ages to think of one worth doing, if there is one worth doing at all.
I simply don't know where to go with poetry next and expect a long hiatus in that idiosyncratic discipline, if not an end to doing it completely.

So, I was surprised that one slightly old-fashioned phrase in Julian Barnes suggested a whole book, a collection of anecdotes by way of fragments of memoir. Heaven knows it would be vainglorious to think I was anywhere near worthy of an autobiography, even for its own sake and I wouldn't tell you all that, anyway, but, Red Herring is the title of the new book. That is the title of the first piece in it, too, which begins,

I came across the phrase ‘red herring’ while reading Julian Barnes. It brought back a swarm of memories that it wouldn’t have for others, not unless you were in the same ‘O’ level Latin class as me. Which demonstrates how language carries different associations for different readers and no text is going to have quite the same meaning for everybody. Lesser writers would cite Proust for the way it unlocked a stream of anecdote and fine detail but I wouldn’t sink to that commonplace comparison. 

We'll see. But at least an idea of a 'project', something to do, to enjoy doing, has presented itself. It's most welcome.