David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 4 January 2013

Pergolesi


Christmas delivered Pergolesi. Delivered him, that is, from my list of 'one-hit wonders' on account of his wonderful Stabat Mater, a long-time favourite, to the status of rapidly rising star.
Record Review on Radio 3 discussed the DVD of Il Prigionier Superbo which prompted the purchase of the CD, notwithstanding the slightly grudging praise that he was 'as good as fairly good standard Vivaldi', or some such judgement, which is obviously and meant to be, a good thing.
But the discs are a revelation, constantly rewarding, superbly recorded and, as the notes suggest, with the intermezzo La Serva Padrona providing just as many of the most memorable moments as the main opera.
The booklet also takes pains to dispel the legend of Pergolesi as the tragic figure that died at the age of 26 by pointing out that he enjoyed great patronage and opportunity in his short creative life but I can't see that in any way removing him from the list headed by Mozart and Schubert of those who heaven only knows what they might have produced given a fuller creative lifespan.
Born in 1710, he was thus 25 years younger than Bach and Handel but was dead well before either and thus far I'm putting him right there with those major baroque masters and Vivaldi. It was hardly his fault that he wasn't given time to produce quite so many reams of masterpieces. The most immediate aria from La Serva Padrona, Stizzoso, mio stizzoso, was reprised a few times on my record player straight after hearing it for the first time.
2013 has got off to a tremendous start. There is always room for a new hero in my firmament.