David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 28 January 2013

Night on the Town

Ночью по городу

he painted love, but he didn’t practice it.
                                     Virginia Haggard, My Life with Chagall

We would be angels joined above the night,
a pacific embrace, a longed-for swim
through all we ever thought we could have been.

The paint will tell you that, this other world
of shared imagining. But all there is to give
is given there. For the night air is cool

and poetry, I’m afraid, is unreal
and artists’ eyes take more than they give back,
returning less to you each time they look.

--

Virginia Haggard was Marc Chagall's second wife, after the muse, Bella. Jackie Wullschlager's biography quotes from her memoir.
The title here is what I am offered for the Russian for 'Night on the Town' by Google Translate and so it is not necessarily any more than a working title at the moment. I would probably try to get it rendered into English script but the listen facility suggests it sounds like 'Noscu por gorado'.
Any offers of help with any of that would be gratefully received.'