David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Saturday 25 July 2009

Signed Poetry Books - Wendy Cope


As a bloke poet, faced with the history of Eng Lit in which the vast majority of canonical names are also blokes, one sometimes feels pressured to give special attention to female poets even if 8 out of one's favourite 10 poets, at the very least, are male. (The two are Duffy and Plath, if you really want to know).
The discussion goes on forever about the socio-political reasons why this might be so and I'd like not to involve myself too deeply in that discussion because it's the words I'm in it for, just the words.
So I don't include dear Wendy here as a token, to try to get my quota of lady poets up, it is because I admire her work. She has gained a massive reputation on the basis of a small body of work, much of which one might call 'light verse' and that is quite an achievement. This copy of If I Don't Know was bargainesque on e-Bay and it's a great book even if someone called Tim seems to have tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.