David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 9 February 2021

Racetrack Wiseguy

 It is unlikely that we reconvene here for turf matters before the Cheltenham Preview next month when Spenno and the Professor are due to add their thoughts to mine as the other two wise men.
There were some enormously convincing performances at Leopardstown over the weekend that it will be difficult to forget when compiling any shortlist for Cheltenham. Although one thinks, thinks again and then usually declines any special offer from a bookmaker because they are clearly just trying to tempt you in, I haven't taken up Corals's offer of 3/1 about Honeysuckle for the Champion Hurdle because I would be backing it anyway, it is a very fair price and it comes with non-runner money back, best odds guaranteed and fail to finish money back as a free bet. It is daft not to accept an offer like that.

Or their very sporting gesture of putting up £25k each week, plus £1 for every entrant they get over 25000, for their Racing Super Series. It is effectively a placepot in which one needs to get a horse placed in each of the seven races of their choosing which on Sunday was the Irish Gold Cup meeting at Leopardstown and three races at Musselburgh. One might as well have a go, for nothing, and three or four red hot favourites duly went in, which doesn't make for a big pay out but then the favourite got beat in the Gold Cup and, being one of the 900-odd that ticked all the boxes, I shared the £45k with them and was glad of the £45.58 which might not change my life but does change my minus position for 2021 into a plus.
Unfortunately, showing off my Racetrack Wiseguy prowess is easier than establishing any website editor credentials.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.