David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Goodbye Vinyl and Cassettes

There was an advert in a local magazine, you see.
The piles of old LP's, singles and cassettes upstairs hadn't been played for twenty years maybe. Some research into the price of an original PiL Metal Box or a Sex Pistols bootleg confirmed what I thought, that they can be worth a few quid but that assumes neat condition. I invited them round, the 'collectors' which, of course, means dealers. I'm not daft.
The sentimental value doesn't count for that much in the end but I couldn't let the pristine 1968 White Horses by Jackie go and I held onto I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman by Whistling Jack Smith. I'm not yet sure how much of an emotional wrench it will prove to be but somebody somewhere might soon be the new owner of an extensive selection of 1980's Gregory Isaacs.
My biggest worry is that some old demo by me wasn't taken out or that some paperwork of some private nature was still in amongst them somewhere but I did my best in the time available to remove any such.
One thinks of how much one spent on those records but then one thinks how much further use they were going to be. I got twice what the old man was offering but the lad was keener to do the deal. 
One has to be able to let go. Perhaps somebody else will play Drive-in Saturday. I wonder if they'll sing along to the repeated line, 'it's a dri-i-i-ve -in Saturday' or the 'yes, sir, yes, sir' that goes over the top of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.