David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 8 March 2022

The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now

 In a completely unforeseen development, my days of attending recitals of popular music aren't quite over yet. I was glad to have it pointed out that Peter Doherty is playing a small venue within walking distance of here in two weeks and so I've got myself in.
It was also useful to be reminded that The Libertines have not yet been added into my playlists for a Perfect Day of Pop Radio but they have been now.

One isn't short of options when trying to pick a Libertines track and we can have a non-Libertines Doherty track, too. It's not easy to pass over a song with lines like,
There's fewer more distressing sights than that
Of an Englishman in a baseball cap.
I had no time for Pete Doherty at first and gave no thought at all to dismissing an invitation to see him and his band in an ideal small venue when they were absolutely the big deal rather than the heritage act that all bands inevitably become. Then I saw him in an interview with Kirsty Wark, as if he was a Newsnight special, indulged with fawning questions about whether he thought he'd ever stop being a helpless drug addict. I think it was later that I heard a story that Amy Winehouse was possibly going to stay with him to help with her re-hab. A bad idea, one would have thought and, in retrospect, probably somebody's idea of a joke. A few people whose opinions I respected kept insisting how good he was but I was having none of it and made no attempt to hear any of the records. I said there was a free CD with The Observer six months ago but I hadn't played it. Well, you ought to. So, I did. It was immediately another case of They were right and I was wrong which I'm always happy to be. It also happened with Cliff Richard and The Human League but went in the opposite direction with Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream.

and the rest of this item will be lifted from the review due on 23rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.