David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 20 February 2022

The Soul Show

 The bad habit of list-making continues, compiling this Perfect Day of Pop Radio as and when.

There was some overflow from the Sounds of the 60's and Sounds of the 70's shows and so I'm picking up further essentials here in The Soul Show and in due course there can be The Rock Show, The Reggae Show, maybe a less competitive Sounds of the 80's, perhaps singer-songwriters, Children's Favourites which I'm confident Radio 2 will want to give over a Bavk Holiday Monday to and can also serve as at least the Contents page of the pop music book I doubt I'll ever write.

However many repechages one provides, though, there will be the heartbreak of not having included the next few one wanted to. In the case of  The Soul Show, Macy Gray can consider herself unlucky alongside a wealth of 60's Motown, Stax and Northern Soul but, rather more brutally, if you can't get yourself remembered fondly enough to get into a day's worth of broadcasting then maybe some others were considered more worthy of the honour.
I'm not concerned about what constitutes 'soul', 'rock' or any other genre. Such categories are vague, porous and not very meaningful at the best of times and, as always here, all you have to be is any good. 

William Bell & Judy Clay – Private Number 
Inez & Charlie Foxx – Mockingbird 
Ike & Tina Turner – I Think It’s Gonna Work Out Fine 
Brenda Holloway – Every Little Bit Hurts 
The Stylistics – Betcha By Golly Wow 
The Chi-Lites – Have You Seen Her? 
Stevie Wonder – Love’s in Need of Love Today 
Beyoncé – If I Were a Boy 
Rose Royce – Love Don’t Live Here Anymore 
Odyssey – If You’re Looking for a Way Out 
Otis Redding – You Don’t Miss Your Water 
The Staple Singers – I’ll Take You There 
Gladys Knight & the Pips – Baby Don’t Change Your Mind 
Candi Staton – Mr and Mrs Untrue 
The Isley Brothers – This Old Heart of Mine 
Curtis Mayfield – Move On Up 
Love Unlimited – Walkin in the Rain with the One I Love 
Alexander O’Neal – Criticize 
Lauryn Hill – Doo Wop (That Thing) 
Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes of the Broken Hearted 
Frank Wilson – Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) 
Baby Washington – That’s How Heartbreaks are Made 
Marvin Gaye – I Heard it through the Grapevine 
Garnet Mimms & the Enchanters – Cry Baby 
Darts – It’s Raining 
McAlmont & Butler – Yes 
Beverley Knight – Woulda Coulda Shoulda 
Wyclef Jean ft. Mary J. Blige – 911 
Sly & the Family Stone – Family Affair 
Sam Cooke – Bring it on Home 
Fontella Bass – Rescue Me 
Freda Payne – Band of Gold 
Jaibi – You Got Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.