David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 12 March 2020

Ensemble Concertante at Portsmouth Live!

Ensemble Concertante, Portsmouth Cathedral, Mar 12.

My first walk along the seafront since last September was a gusty one. There's a lot of air down there on a day like today. Which I thought was a good, contrived way of introducing the idea of wind instruments - Ensemble Concertante are four clarinets, which I don't see often among the piano, violin, cello and vocal music.
They began with an arrangement of the first movement of William Boyce's Symphony no. 1. Wonderful. I must upgrade my old cassette to a CD, it's been that long since I listened to him. Baroque decoration in four parts. I wouldn't have minded the whole symphony but Ensemble Concertante offer variety and the programme moved on.
The French Suite by Yvonne Desportes was recognizably that, and C20th and thus 'impressionistic' in its evocation of light, and perhaps Ravel. During sunlight, at lunchtime, the stained glass casts its colours onto the stone wall but the music
caught it better than my camera did.
At times, in different ways, both this and the Khasene March evoked Sidney Bechet's 'enormous yes' without the group quite moving into the jazz that their instruments do the flailing bits of so well. And the big one was a bass clarinet not a saxophone's uncle.
The composer Matthew Holloway was there to hear his Scherzo, more contemporary, stop-start and proof enough that the Ensemble are ensemble, with excellent timing and togetherness.
We were kindly put out of our anxities about where we had heard one of the two Gounod pieces before, Marche funebre d'une marionette, and the answer was Hitchcock Presents. Such was the blend of musical genres and between known and new.
The Dansa Latino di Maria del Realby Patrick Hiketick wasn't quite as Latin as the French Suite was French but provided a salsa finale to complete a real excursion into the potential of what is a lightly niche instrument but, wait, tonight's concert on the wireless is Brahms and Stephen Hough and all clarinet so perhaps it's World Clarinet Day and I didn't know.
After the morning wind and the lunchtime sunlight, it was quite severely raining at leaving time so a few minutes of stained glass and remembering George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, who was assassinated a few yards up the road in 1628, was enough to wait for it to stop, do my bit as a typical Southsea Remain Waitrose customer and come home to see the fruits of my best investment decision of the week- not to put the life savings on Paisley Park in the Stayers Hurdle. Swerving horse racing is saving me a fortune.
Thanks very much to Ensemble Concertante for an enlightening performance and Portsmouth Live! for being there. Maybe we can have the whole Boyce symphony one day.