David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 23 August 2013

Two Small Incidents This Week

Just in case there is nothing else to put here for a week or so, here are two pieces that probably could be called 'poems'. And, yes, they are poems. But possibly not quite the sort of poem I'd usually put my name to, if you see what I mean.

But they are reportage of detail from a small life. There might be a reviewer within these islands that would say so.

Two Small Incidents This Week 

1 

I’m looking at hats on a market stall.
The cheapest type of panama or fedora. 

Behind me I hear the sort of local wit
That keeps the stall holders so entertained. 

He’s asking what came first, the chicken
or the egg. And that it’s a good question. 

I look at one or two more hats.
They’re 7 quid and shouldn’t be put near naked flames. 

But then can’t help but turn round to explain
It was the egg, the egg came first. 

Dinosaurs laid eggs
Before there were chickens. 

But he says, yes, but there was life
On earth before dinosaurs 

And I say, yes, there was
But not chickens.

 

2 

I packed my bag for a week off
Throughout the week before, 

Adding each item as I thought of it.
Tablets, diary, camera. 

Oh, yes. Camera, and therefore
Some replacement batteries to put it in. 

I take two batteries out of the drawer,
The last two in the cardboard strip 

Then find that I have put the cardboard
Into my bag and am walking to the kitchen bin 

To throw the batteries away.
Why am I throwing these batteries away. 

Oh, I see. Perhaps I’ll put them in my bag
And throw the cardboard away instead.