David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 24 July 2022

Signed Poetry Books - James Kirkup

This post first appeared in 2009 but, having added the label, it has jumped forward to re-date itself as today. That's fine. I'm surprised, but glad, to see how many times the blogspot metrics say it's been viewed in the last 13 years.

--

 James Kirkup made headline news in the late 70's with a controversial poem which was by no means one of his better efforts. But there was more to him than that and this volume is an example of some of his more circumspect, controlled and thoughtful work.

He was, among other things, a great exponent of the haiku in English but the haiku in English in one of those subjects that I have to restrain myself from expressing a strong opinion on.

One thing Kirkup does best, though, is sign a book. This exquisite example is the neatest signature I have on a book of poems and it refers us back to an age where such style was valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.