David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 28 March 2023

James Bowman

 


Sad to hear the news of the death of James Bowman just now on the wireless.

He was a favourite singer alongside the likes of Al Green and any number of 1960's soul ladies and other counter-tenors.

His recording of the Couperin Lecons de Tenebres with Michael Chance was a revelation and the first of several of that music I bought but, having been in place first, it remained the preferred option.

He appeared in Portsmouth Cathedral a few times in semi-retirement, with Catherine Bott in a memorable double act and what I think was his last Messiah.

You Tube doesn't appear to have the Couperin and perhaps he never recorded Buxtehude's Klag-Lied but there is other Buxtehude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.