David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 1 March 2023

Family - Burlesque

 For preference, I might have represented Family with My Friend the Sun but they find themselves in The Rock Show rather than Sounds of the 70's and The Rock Show is gentle enough, for a 'rock' show, as it is. There's no need to go the whole way into Roger Chapman's bellowing lunge at In My Own Time but Burlesque has a jagged, passionate charm to it.
Chapman was a very acceptable alternative to Joe Cocker's histrionics in a way that Donovan was only a fey, whimsical surrogate Bob Dylan. His ragged, impassioned delivery seemed to be authentically from a lifestyle but he's lived to the age of 80 so far and kept performing to a good age.
The Burlesque was a Leicester night club and the 'rolling and tumbling' he did there and elsewhere maybe didn't do him too much harm. There was a lot of posturing going on in 'rock' music and no doubt many of the self-styled 'bad boys' that did it also did their best to live up to their stage reputations but I suspect Roger Chapman of also being a singer and one of the best at this rough and ready sound, helped in no small part here by John 'Charlie' Whitney's guitar part and a juddering rhythm section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.