David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Saturday 5 May 2018

My Culture Fix

When you're in top form you can not only land the nap and tip the winner of the big race but you can say how the accumulator is going to go down as well.

But The Times has a new questionnaire, the interest of which sort of thing is generally to fill it in oneself rather than read what the celebrated guest has put. So,

My favourite author or book - James Joyce, Dubliners
The book I'm reading - biography of Delmore Schwartz has been put to one side in favour of Ali Smith, The Whole Story and Other Stories; there's usually some poetry lying around, Rory Waterman and Michael Longley happen to be those at present
The book I wish I'd written - as above, really
The book I couldn't finish - Stephen Hawking, like everybody else, and I took a break from Proust about 35 years ago and haven't gone back to it yet. If I ever pick it up again I hope it reminds me of something. 
The book I'm ashamed I haven't read - not really ashamed or else I'd have read it by now but I'm short on Dickens, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy.
The box set I'm hooked on - not applicable
My favourite piece of music - is an essay question. Spem in Alium, bits of Bach, Handel and Buxtehude, Soave s'il vento, Sunday Morning by the Velvet Underground, I Want You Back by the Jackson 5, Stop! in the Name of Love by Diana Ross & the Supremes and Mama Told Me by the Jess Davies Band. For starters.
The instrument I wish I'd learnt - any would have been nice but all would have been beyond me. I'm sure it's piano for anybody who can't play it but cello is my favourite instrument. I don't know if I can play the trombone. I've never tried.
The music that saved me - not sure I understand the question so let's put Dear Lord and father of mankind, Forgive our foolish ways
The music that cheers me up - possibly Mendelssohn. The Next Time by Cliff Richard.
My favourite film - Noce Blanche, Tous les Matins du Monde, Un Coeur en Hiver
My favourite play - Hamlet
The play I walked out of in the interval - Murder in the Cathedral
The Last TV programme that made me cry - it's never quite cry but I find Dad's Army increasingly moving
I wasted an evening watching - Lost in Translation. It was an afternoon, actually. An hour and three quarters just to hear a Jesus & Mary Chain song inexplicably added on at the end.
My guiltiest cultural pleasure-  I don't think any make me feel guilty. I hope I'm not supposed to put Camberwick Green.
If I could own one painting it would be - any Vermeer would do nicely, thank you.
I'm having a fantasy dinner party, I'll invite these artists and authors - no, I don't think I would
The place I feel happiest - I like Wigmore Hall very much these days. Being asleep is a good one. I'm not entirely happy about the idea of being happy. Cheltenham races if one is winning.
What I'm looking forward to - having just done a new booklet of poems and been privileged to contribute a small part to a record, I have just passed a peak on that graph. I have just ordered the new disc of Shostakovich's op. 57 by the Belcea Quartet, so in the short term it's that. At this very moment, I'm very much looking forward to receiving some photographs of Thursday night by e-mail.