David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 26 October 2015

Keith picks Gregory

It was an excellent selection of records by Keith Richards on Desert Island Discs yesterday.
The Etta James, the Doo-Wop, the Vivaldi but, most outstandingly, the Gregory Isaacs.
And then, he went further and chose to save Gregory when all the others got washed away.

I don't listen to my very favourite music often enough. I sometimes think I could survive forever with just Bach, and maybe I could survive with just reggae, too. But one doesn't have to.

So, here's Extra Classic, quite surprisingly a track I don't have among the 30-dd LP's and half dozen CD's of Gregory. It's reassuring to know one keeps such bad company.
There is a story in these parts that some local church people went round knocking the doors of their local community in the Witterings/Selsey area, collecting for their church roof fund. Keith answered the door, listened and then asked how much they needed.
Thirty-five thousand pounds.
Hold on a minute. And he went and got his cheque book and wrote them a cheque for that.
And I understand his new album is good, too.
It's funny how one can suddenly take to people on the merest whim.