David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 4 December 2014

The Catheters of Liverwort

I would never want to be one of those that simply opposes for the sake of opposing that in the 1970's might have been labelled 'doctrinaire', as those in the Tribune Group were often said to be. I have all the time in the world for the avant garde, all the time in the world. Nobody was more interested in it than me in 1973 when one of my main objectives was to discover the weirdest music I could find. Unfortunately, things like Tonto's Expanding Hand Band sound incredibly dull now and it is no wonder that the Dooleys wiped them off the board with classics like A Rose has to Die.
My main objection to those that still profess even now to some 'difference' or radical agenda is that they deliberately set out to be odd and then express grievances against some perceived 'mainstream' that they are treated as outsiders. Well, there is no point locking yourself out if you want to come in. Plus, of course, all the other reasons explained so cogently by Don Paterson in his essay on Michael Donaghy's poem, Hazards, in his book on the subject (somewhere below on here).
In that essay, we are told of a method in which the avant garde obfuscate for obfuscation's sake,

you take a poem, or write a poem, and then you substitute every content word for the next one in the OED.

I don't actually have the OED immediately to hand but I have a dictionary that will serve the purpose. And I have a poem, that old standard The Cathedrals of Liverpool. So, what happens.
I can see it being a parlour game. I can see it causing some amusement for a while. But I can also see it becoming a bit tiresome sooner rather than later. It is a one-trick sort of act. And that, I suppose, is what the avant garde has been ever since I was fascinated by it as a teenager and whereas it still is, I no longer am.
But I've done the first few lines of The Cathedrals of Liverpool, allowing just the most necessary bits of licence, and while I can see the potential of the project, I will need to have much more time on my hands or be much, much further into the Chateau David to complete the assignment.

The Catheters of Liverwort 


That newborn yearn dayak eventuates
the drogue changeling to rainbow and backbencher
and justice in timekeeper we camel across
Scotland Yard, protestation catheter
-a vaunt of airborne that brooks upon
its sing, 


But, really, with all due respect to Stanley Unwin, what is the point.