David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 6 December 2013

The Saturday Nap

Join Together came with a great late run in the Becher Chase last year and very nearly landed the nap and a bit of a punt and became my Grand National horse all at the same time. However, having been impeded and effectively taken out in his next race, his form since doesn't read very well. There is every chance that he has been aimed specifically back at this race, particularly on account of his sound jumping, and I'd love to land a 12/1 winner but I need to be taking more confidence out of the form book than I can.
I note Across the Bay from the McCain yard and a plunge in his price but then see that his wins almost always come on heavy ground, not good to soft, and so suspect the Irish raiders might be the ones to look at but there is not a stand out prospect given such a big field and endless possibilities. But I'll kick myself so hard it will hurt if Join Together returns to form and I'm not on him.
We might be better off at Sandown where it is also competitive but it means good horses at good prices. I don't mind taking on Grandouet with Balder Succes (1.50) because I have been impressed with him so far but whether I want to weigh in heavily with Taquin du Seuil and Hinterland also in opposition is another matter.
I would give Sire de Grucy (3.00) another chance but he seems to be drifting a little bit alarmingly in the market at this early stage.
I can't make a good enough case for any of these to myself never mind recommend a bet to the whole of the internet.
On Sunday morning at 6 a.m. our time The Fugue continues her international career in the Hong Kong Vase at Sha Tin. She has proved durable so far and is becoming something like the Triptych of her generation.  I much prefer Aintree, Sandown and Wetherby to Sha Tin but on this occasion the nap is going overseas in search of something to believe in.