David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Praise to the Holiest in the Height

When asked, 'have you got vertigo?', Spike Milligan would answer, 'no, I only live round the corner.' On Tuesday, rather less droll, I'd have said, 'yes'.
The Tower Tour at Salisbury Cathedral is two hours of excellent entertainment, but you need to be prepared to climb a few narrow winding sets of stairs and also have a head for heights. I'm one of those unfortunate people who enjoys a panoramic view but doesn't enjoy the feeling that at any moment I might not be able to stop myself falling off a precarious, high place.
In fact, I was probably worse looking over from the walkway at the clerestory level than on the outside at the base of the spire which is a few floors higher but when the guide asked 'are there any more questions', I only just prevented myself from saying, 'yes, can we go back down now?'. Another Milligan remark, which might indicate a similar incapacity in the Goon, was that it wasn't the height he was scared of-, that's fine- it's the ground that kills you'.

It's a great thing to see, though, more an education in engineering and architecture than spiritual matters with plenty more things to wonder at along the lines of 'how did they do that'. Well, medieval architects were apparently no less ingenious and tremendously accurate than those of any other period.
The third picture here (not taken by me) is looking up inside the spire with its 700 year old timber scaffolding which, we were told, the tour would have allowed us to go up by the set of ladders in the 1950's. I don't think I've ever been more grateful for a Health & Safety ruling.