David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Got up and finished joint third

Just as Camelot failed to emulate Nijinsky's triple crown by not adding the St. Leger to his 2000 Guineas and Derby wins, so I failed to live up to my own hype and could only dead-heat with Denise Bennett for third place in Portsmouth Poetry Society's 2012 competition.
Congratulations to John Dean on his win with a spirited defence of rhyme and metre, which were never as such under attack. And to Cliff Blake on his second place.
So, the dream of completing a unique treble this summer is over. Having added the Olympic Bag Boggling gold medal (somewhere below) to my majesterial win in a Fantasy Tour de France game, I really needed to lift that cup to put me in with a chance of Sports Personality of the Year.
But we will be back, trying again, next year.

Here's my poem. The theme of the competition was 'a lifeline',

Life Line 

Your future is in the palm of your hand.
Your life is written on the life line there.
What happens next will be what fate has planned. 

So pay the palm reader what they demand
And let them interpret it if you dare.
Your future is in the palm of your hand. 

Life is pre-ordained on that fragile strand,
That faint fault line of which we should beware.
What happens next will be what fate has planned. 

But nothing that you do can countermand
Its fractures or the way it leads nowhere.
Your future is in the palm of your hand. 

So, as our aeroplane comes in to land,
Bumping through that turbulent airport air,
What happens next will be what fate has planned. 

We hope the pilot is in control and
You check your life line and then we compare.
Your future is in the palm of your hand. 

I don’t believe all this, you understand,
But if others choose to that’s their affair.
Your future is in the palm of your hand.
What happens next will be what fate has planned.