David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 22 November 2010

Say it ain't so, Simon, say it ain't so


So, it was a C.B.E. for Simon Armitage, was it. I must have missed the honours list when it was announced.
I remember a letter in Cycling Weekly many years ago where a reader bewailed a photograph of Eddy Merckx smoking. And this picture gives me a similar feeling.
Why would a poet, and a quite fine one at that, want the suffix 'Commander of the British Empire' appended to the perfectly adequate name they have already. A much less worthy poet, Benjamin Zephaniah, is better placed to explain and once did explain why not.
It doesn't make one's poems any better and, to be honest, one looks a proper charlie with the silly jewellery on.
It says here that Bonnie Greer and John Cale received similar awards at the same ceremony. How the mighty are fallen. If these gongs were not arbitrary enough in the first place, they spoil the names of the recipients with those atrocious words as well.
I don't understand it. Simon Armitage, go back two spaces and miss a turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.