David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Top 6 - Cover Versions

There was apparently some survey on which were the best cover versions and such hot news was it that Tony Livesey was talking about it until 1 a.m. on Radio 5 before the Breakfast Show took it up again at 6.
There is surely only one candidate for the top position but I didn't hear it mentioned on the wireless. Gregory Isaacs' Puff the Magic Dragon has nothing to look over its shoulder for in this race, and here it is to show you why, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIf3xfWVTuo .
I've got The Human League's You Lost that Lovin Feeling next for the way its still carries immense power but through a minimalist arrangement.
Rod Stewart's always a favourite and it would be his version of This Old Heart of Mine that I'd have back a hundred times.
Wild Billy Childish and the Black Hands deliver a tremendous ska version of Mister Hitler, theme from Dad's Army.
Wyclef Jean's Wish You Were Here was so good it made me think better of Pink Floyd.
Boney M's hidden masterpiece is a version of No Woman No Cry on the B side of an early single, probably Daddy Cool.
And just for once, but on this occasion only, because it's me. I can't keep it down to six because I also want The Mamas & The Papas doing their soft, shimmering account of Cliff's Do You Wanna Dance. Shocking rule-breaking, though. Don't be trying that at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.