I'm glad I remembered to check up in time when the annual exhibition by the Portsmouth and Hampshire Art Society was. It was today, taking up the nave of Portsmouth Cathedral, and for the rest of the week.
Of course, as in a poetry magazine, there is plenty of work that is 'not one's kind of thing'. Most things aren't. But one reads, or attends, because there is likely to be something worth knowing about that one wouldn't have otherwise.
My first walk round made the work of Ric Robinson appear the stand outs. Three similar compositions to The Earth Dies Screaming , featured here.
That's a bit dramatic whereas another taking its title from another old pop record, Cruel Summer, might have been more muted until one realizes one doesn't want to be reminded of our 'new normal', parched summers. My favourite of what may or may not have been intended as a triptych was the other one, mostly in a blue that was nearly black and shades of black, something about not knowing about entering into the abyss. Not, as far as I know, taking its title from a piece of music but it might.
These were on sale for £600 and change. I take some convincing, especially when there was a much smaller item, something about eternal light disappearing, that was more affordable. I will have to go back and have another look.
But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It was obvious who was Louise Griffiths-Kimber whose Preseli Hills was easily the most engaging canvas two years ago. She was kind enough to show me around her exhibits which included the Lord Mayor's Prize winner. Proper art people know their stuff. One of her pictures was of Whitby Abbey. I somehow had a feeling her favourite band would be The Cure.
---Do I want this painting, for the price I think was being asked- title not properly remembered, the name of the artist so easily forgotten- I think I probably do. Partly for the colours but also for the way it's not quite abstract but only vaguely figurative. And it is gorgeously small and intelligent like the wonderful dog that was on the no. 21 bus on the way home. I'm not in a position to look after a dog but I can just about find space for one more painting.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.