David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 1 March 2024

Cheltenham Update with Racetrack Wiseguy

 Doing a preview quite so far in advance has its pitfalls but quite honestly the picture was no clearer for the At the Races people earlier this week. It was more complicated for them because they had the Constitution Hill bombshell to deal with. 
For me the Champion Hurdle this year is not a race to bet on whoever runs. I'm with those that think he won't run and if he did I'd want to back him to pull up as have the majority of recent Henderson runners. I think the news is that Lossiemouth remains in the Mares Hurdle whether or not the champion defends his title so there is no bet to have.
Chapman, Blake, Codd and Boyce provided some knockabout entertainment in their preview, sometimes dangerously close to siding with me on such things as Ballyburn going to the Supreme and winning and going for Stay Away Fay, more impressed with his Cheltenham run out of Novice company than I was.
So, with Hills very generously giving their customers a free fiver each day, I think I've got most of mine paid for. Free fivers can either be converted into pocket money on short onres or you can have a punt and on Weds I'll go for Doddiethegreat (2.50) who I've been waiting for in the hope that Mr. Henderson's stable is not stricken with virus and he's got most of his best chances ready.
Where Willie Mullins sends Fact to File might be of interest to Mr. Nicholls who has the second fav against him in either race but the ATR wiseguys weren't that smitten with him anyway but Ginny's Destiny at 1.30 on Thursday will face some Mullins opposition and I'm not quite persuaded at the moment.
We want good things, not guesswork. We can treat ourselves to guesswork with free bets. It's not been going tremendously well recently and part of being wise is being wise enough to go quiet when it isn't. Betting isn't compulsory and neither should it be compulsive. However much the steady annual profit retrieves from the long lost £££'s of the 1980's and 90's, it's unlikely to turn into a lifetime profit unless I land the ITV7.
There is no enjoyment in doing it for enjoyment. One only sings when one's winning and so that is what one must do. The Champion Hurdle currently goes-
4/9 State Man - but what if Constitution Hill turns up and is okay.
8/11 Constitution Hill - but what if he turns up and then pulls up.
7/2 Lossiemouth - probably doesn't run but has a job on if she does
5/1 Irish Point - probably goes elsewhere and that's no price.
12/1 bar those - run for place money behind State Man if you like but I don't know on which one.
 
I wouldn't want to change a thing from the investments I have in place. The free bets on Thursday and Friday can probably go on Irish Point (Thurs 3.30) and Galopin des Champs (Fri 3.30) because it seems rude not to try to take some actual cash out of the Hills promotional offer.
Then I can get back to worrying about the form of Derby County and Wrexham and whether I've already missed the best Cash Out offer Corals were ever going to make me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.