David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 27 September 2023

Career Opportunities

Career Opportunities

At school the careers master 
Could see I was a disaster, 
The sort of maelstrom 
Employers run miles from. 
He said, ‘you’ll not make an ostler
Anywhere near Gloucester, 
They’ll not take you as a sommelier 
Even in Montpellier 
And you won’t be a barista
From here to Chichester. 
Perhaps you’ll be a farmer 
If you go to the Bahamas 
Or maybe a sailor 
In the navy of Venezuela
But you’ll never be a banker, 
Either here or in Sri Lanka.’ 
He was right, I didn’t argue 
And so now what I do 
Is write couplets and stanzas 
And then take my chances.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.